22 October 2009

Adventures After Nationals

What's a girl to do after her team achieves the highest, most bad-ass honor one can achieve in collegiate mountain-biking?
Cook a Mexican casserole, of course.
I usually cook one of maybe four different things (grits, roasted root vegetables, stew, quinoa) so I thought I'd step out on a limb and try something exciting. I ignored the recipe, which suggested kidney beans and Monterey Jack, and used:
sauteed onions and garlic (first step in every durn thing I cook)
tomatoes
chilies
tortillas strips
queso fresca (This is kind of "cheese 101", but SO delicious)
black-eyed peas
So actually this isn't a new and exciting dish at all. I use most of these ingredients all the time. But it's presented in a different way, and isn't that half the battle?

My Mexican casserole was divine. St. Marie gave it his pain face of approval.

1 comment:

  1. yumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyum

    I made some stuff with rice and polish sausage (I cooked meat! except I didn't really, because it was already cooked and cured...also all-natural and local) and bell peppers and onions and garlic (of COURSE onions and garlic) and cheeeeeese and it turned out really good. and it was super easy, it all goes in a skillet, gets sauteed, and then into the oven.

    food is SO MUCH FUN.

    ReplyDelete