11 September 2012

Idyll

I'm not sure why I waited so long to update on the current situation--I'm probably only a couple of days away from an insistent email from the mother or father.

I think maybe it's because words fail me. I keep having to pinch myself to be sure this is real, that somehow I deserve to be here staying in a free cabin, eating three free (delicious) meals a day, working with friendly, outdoorsy, sometimes hedonistic, perpetually nomadic people.

More than anything, it's just the most beautiful place I've ever been, and the idea that I can wake up every morning to the sun rippling over the cerulean lake and through the spruce pines, and go for a ten minute hike that puts me in a skree field overlooking both Fallen Leaf and Lake Tahoe, seems almost absurd. The other night the staff director took all us newbies on a night cruise in the pontoon boat and pointed out all the intensely illuminated constellations. We're surrounded by sinister 9,000 foot peaks that delineate sky and earth in no uncertain terms. There's enough time in the day to hop in the bracingly cold lake, take out a kayak or paddleboard, or head out for a quick ride. I've even found a riding companion who knows the nearby trails and yesterday she took me up a mountain and back down.

Suffice to say I'm already dreading the end of the work season, only two months away.

1 comment:

  1. You say sinister, I say inviting...

    What a cool place. I looked it up on the interwebs.

    Pictures, please. Tahoe is so pretty. I can only imagine what splendor leaf season will afford.

    Not sure what your winter plans are...if you are thinking at all about working at a Tahoe resort, be sure to apply now! September is THE month for hiring.

    Go ride the Tahoe Meadows-Spooner Lake section of the Tahoe Rim Trail. It's on the NV side but not too far from South Lake Tahoe. Running part of that section would also be an excellent option. We saw literally 100+ runners training for the Tahoe 100 when we were out there.

    ReplyDelete