28 August 2012

Oh, Utah

We wended our way through Wyoming and it was windy and wide-open, with striated bluffs sometimes rising out of the scrub brush. The crossing into Utah brought abrupt elevation changes, towering peaks, and rivers. Why did no one ever tell me this state was so beautiful? We met up with Joh and headed down to Salt Lake City for a potluck in the park with friends. The beach volleyball courts beckoned and I grudgingly played for the first time, and loved it, and went to bed with dusty feet.

The next morning Joh took us hiking in stunning Wasatch National Forest, where even a moderate walk yields the most grandiose views. Then we sated our mountainous appetites with huge burgers at the only pub in Samak (the tiny hamlet of non-Mormons who left Kamas and spelled their new town backwards). Joh then had to work but I wasn't finished with this landscape. A bit of sheer Facebook serendipity landed me in the capable hands of a local mechanic/bike racer, who showed me a tantalizing sampling of what Park City had to offer. I struggled a little but wheezed less than expected at seven to nine thousand feet.

Reunited

Gotta love how worthless pictures are at conveying scenery
I usually try to put new trails in context by comparing them to old, but analogies failed me now. No trails I'd ridden were like these; twisty, steep, sometimes rocky or rooty (but usually at polite perpendiculars), covered in an inch of fine moon dust, but most noticeably graced always by a majestic vacuum--the sweeping valley and heartbreaking massifs that kept snagging my eyes and ripping me asunder. There's no doubt it was the most beautiful place I'd ever been. I didn't even try to take a picture. The sun set and we finished riding in the dark. So, Utah. Never mind the wicked winters, the snobs and the Mormons, the 4% ABV beer. I love it.
Oh yeah, we also played on the salt flats


1 comment:

  1. Utah is amazing. The state is wonderfully diverse in terms of terrain. Moab area deserves all of the credit it receives - Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Indian Creek, Cataract Canyon, and the La Sals. Zion NP looks incredible, and the St. George/SW Utah region would be a very worthy exploration. NE Utah near Vernal has some great albeit unknown mtb trails and very cool places near Lodore Canyon of the Green River.

    Whenever you make you return trip eastward, see if you can work the route through the Grand Canyon area, up to Zion, and then across to Moab (and then to Durango, which you will love). Not that such a trip will happen anytime soon.....

    ReplyDelete