27 January 2010

My Two Cents

Apple always makes much ado about its gadget debuts, so the Saint and I were listening to a radio program about it this morning. These dudes were placing bets on the new gizmo's name, with options like iSlate, iTablet, iBook, etc. But...Apple disappointed me by unveiling the most cringe-worthy name of all...
The iPad.
If you like menstrual humor, please click here.
So that's problem number one. Problem number two is that this thing is grotesquely large. In the debut video Steve Jobs cradles his...ick...iPad like an infant. Wowee, that's a small laptop! But, lordie, that's a big MP3 player. Arguably not suitable for the gym. And imagine having a conversation on it. It would be like holding a cookbook (that weighs 1.5lbs) to your ear. As far as photos go, it's like the modern day pinhole camera. I mean in size, not quality. The new book feature is cool, I guess, if you like your books fragile like antique original publications and expensive like...well, that's up to Apple to decide.
This is the gadget that replaces all the rest of your gadgets. Meh. Inadequately, it seems.
But I always thought the iPhone was kind of stupid too. I am totally not in Apple's prime demographic range of smug graphic design students, Dan Bennett, and those poor consumers who are constantly trying to outrun obsolescence.
None of which is to say I don't luurrve iPods and iTunes. So I'll shut up now.

1 comment: