23 November 2009

Uphill/Downhill

We rode Becky Mountain today and it reminded me how much I loveloveLOVE stupid road climbs. They're just so...painful! And stupid! But not boring! Or monotonous!
But then we rode the not-intimidating downhill on See-Off and the even-less-intimidating downhill on 276 and, guys, I have to say: I am the worst road descender in the history of the world.
This is a recent development. There was a time when I didn't* suck ass. But now I am scaredscaredSCARED. And I stubbornly refuse to take advice from Squirrel or the Saint or anyone because I'm too busy being scared to "find the apex of the curve", etc. I'll let loose for a few minutes but then get that TERROR FLASH and then grab the brakes even harder/sketchier. Loyal readers: is there a cure?


*Why is the little spell-check underline showing up on the word "didn't"? Am I going crazy? "Didn't" IS the correct contraction of "did not", isn't it?
Oh God, now they're underlining "isn't" too. Ack.

2 comments:

  1. First, you should take a lesson from the woman in your picture...she is bravely standing up to the monster.

    Second, I'm pretty sure your answer is in the picture itself... "Journey in the Dark." Practice your downhills in the dark, and you will become amazing in the light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. St. Marie that is a horrible Idea (descending in the dark) 2. Julia we need to go ride together so you can ride with somebody sketchier than you. It will make you feel better. 3. Slow down to go faster, learn the turn and then bomb it.

    ReplyDelete