19 April 2016

Contentment

We saw our new landlords tailgating in the parking lot of Targhee on closing day. They shared some botanical Italian liqueur and introduced us to their friends who are now our neighbors. Later, on the way back to Jackson, they stopped by to pick up some mail. The dogs were playing ball in the front yard as we all watched with beers in hand. "I'm so glad the yard is getting used and you guys are hanging out outside," the husband said. We raised our beers appreciatively. 

The new house is great. 

I burrow down like a rodent in whatever house I inhabit because I'm such an incurable homebody. Our last place sucked but I wanted contentment so badly that I ignored it. Now that the nail-biting and money-hemorrhaging of moving has subsided, I can look around and take stock of my new nest and I am so, so happy. As are Alex and Erica and the dogs, and most of all Tyler. I guess I didn't realize the extent of his unhappiness with our old place.

The most important room 
Ample sunny outdoor hang-out spots, protective trees shielding us from the flat expanse of the valley, space for the dogs to run laps and chase balls, the tip of the Grand peeking over the foothills to our east, friendly neighbors, hardwood floors, a wood-fired stove, a colorful and well-equipped kitchen, big windows, a generous living space, a big master suite (which I authoritatively co-opted as the person who found and secured the house), a massive garage with tons of shelving and hooks and work space, a gear/guest room...this place has it all. Including the capacity to absorb all of our stuff and still not feel cluttered. Coming from a series of studio apartments, Tyler and I have very little crap, but Erica and Alex have amassed a completely absurd amount of hindrances, i.e. possessions. This is often to our benefit, since they brought with them big comfortable couches, specialized kitchen utensils, gardening accessories...stuff we've never dreamed of owning. 
Tons of inviting communal space
We get along really well and have managed so far to divide chores and finances fairly. Having roommates when I'm on the cusp of thirty isn't ideal but if it means living with our best friends in an incredible house, it's the best possible situation.
 
Views of the Grand from the backyard...when it's not getting weathered on

At last count we had eleven bikes in the garage but that doesn't seem like enough

Not shown: the huge prayer flag in the yard that "keeps the Mormons away" according to the landlord


The Sophalope and her live-in best friend, KaHa, aka Spotty Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment