17 August 2011

Your Opinion Wanted

I spent the entire flight from ATL to AVL with my nose pressed against the window, marveling at the green, sun-kissed splendor of MY mountains. Then I had a bite to eat at the Root with some of my favorite fellas, and this morning I luxuriated in the old routine of real toast, American-style coffee, and a good book, followed by a quick, cool (!) North Slope loop. Damn, I love it here.

Without even realizing it, I scheduled my trip to save me from the last hurrahs of summer. It's sort of sad because I do love the busy season, but the BMC is closed, camps are over, school is back, and the crushing heat is behind us--traffic, work, and the forest will all be a lot more chill from now until leaf season. Basically there's no downside to being back, except that my beloved CK has packed up and moved back to her lame state.

Cheesy admission: the song that most frequently gets stuck on repeat in my head when running? Coldplay's "Don't Panic".
We live in a beautiful world
Yeah we do, yeah we do
We live in a beautiful world
Oh, all that I know
There's nothing here to run from
And there, everybody here's got somebody to lean on.
No clue what the song is actually about but isn't that so Brevard? There's a reason why we're all so happily mired here.

So here's my question: is the purpose of travel purely to serve as a pleasant reminder of how wonderful the place you live is? Or am I missing the point entirely? Please discuss.

4 comments:

  1. you're missing the point. The purpose of traveling is to get to ride your bike in awesome places that you haven't before. You didn't do that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, travel always makes me realize how much I love home. I like traveling but I like getting back home way more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well as cool as B-town is: it does not have In-n-Out or Tim Horton's.

    So yeah, gotta travel for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My input: You only miss CK? Great, thanks...

    BUT...

    I adore traveling and the new experiences but I tend to fight myself about this same question. When it comes down to it, life is essentially the same everywhere; you do the same types of things, fall into a routine, and the newness and excitement goes away leaving you with life as it always is. I love to come home too, maybe we shouldn't look at this as a bad thing, maybe we are just thwarting our happiness with expectations of what we are supposed to do. Maybe, this is over thought!!! LYLAS

    ReplyDelete