15 April 2010

New Bike New Bike New Bike

Ok, so, the Alabama race weekend: rode kind of slow, climbed big hill, finished nestled in the bosom of Lees-McRae's formidable machine team both days...netted a 4th and a 3rd. No big shakes. My results are so consistent. And boring.

Now the good stuff. Having taken the NEW BICYCLE on its maiden voyage, I can present to you an utterly scientific and objective review of the 2010 Era Expert. I took it on ____(can't tell because it was kind of closed as of today...) with the Saint and T. Cowie because it's a darn good test of tech climbing and Pisgah descending. After adjusting the Era within an inch of its life, I was pretty much pleased with the position and we started the dirt climb. Out of the saddle, I felt exactly like I was riding a baby dinosaur.
That comment elicited some puzzled expressions from my companions. Basically, I would imagine a baby dinosaur has big muscular legs but feels a little clumsy, being fresh from the shell, so he treads very carefully. So: delicate but muscular. Which is definitely a good thing.
Then on the descents the Era demanded I ride totally out of control. I could not acquiesce because I was riding like a newbie hack, but soon, little Era. Soon.
Now I understand all those nancy words magazines use in reviews, words like "responsive" and "balanced" and "stable". Here's another one: "perfect". The new (as of '09) suspension design is absolutely delicious. It will require that I accumulate some Tristan-like knowledge of suspension so that I don't bop around with it totally set the wrong way. While experimenting I turned the Brain off and commented to the Saint that it felt very nice, but of course he was appalled and said that defeated the purpose of owning it. I've got some learning to do.
Also: it is the first new mountain bike I've ever owned. Even better: it's sub-25 pounds. Most importantly: it is shockingly beautiful. I cannot take my eyes off it. It is my pristine little baby dinosaur that sparkles in the sunshine.
Let's go ride tomorrow afternoon. Everyone.

2 comments:

  1. What do baby dinosaurs eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm pretty sure they eat the souls of their competitors

    ReplyDelete